ABOUT THE COMMITTEE
The primary purpose of the Design & Construction Board Advisory Committee is to review design concepts and budgets for new buildings and major renovations, and to review and make recommendations to the Board of Education on construction and facility related issues such as change orders, easements, special agreements, consulting and construction contracts.
- To review all construction related items that require Board of Education action.
- To review all construction related items that may generate patron interest.
- To review all construction change order items that individually involve more than $10,000. (The sum of several change order items can total more than $10,000 and not warrant automatic review as long as no individual item on the change order is over $10,000.)
- To review all construction related items that involve money on projects that are near or over budget.
- To track and review the design of all projects with construction budgets of $1,000,000 or greater.
- To review and evaluate post construction and occupancy summaries.
- Prepare meeting minutes for distribution in the BOE insider packet.
All projects with construction budgets of $1,000,000 or greater, and smaller projects at the discretion of the committee, will go through the following steps and reviews to assure that the Board of Education's objectives are being met.
A presentation of the project's schematic design solution will be made to the committee. It will include confirmation that the program or objectives of the project are being met and that an estimate based on square footage costs are within the budget. At this time the committee may request that a presentation be made to the entire Board in a workshop setting. All new prototype buildings will automatically be scheduled for review at a BOE workshop.
Design Development/60% Construction:
A review of the project and design status and a comparison of that to an estimate that reflects the actual types of building systems to be utilized in the project.
A final review of the design and an estimate that reflects actual quantities of materials to be used in the project. At this time the committee will make a recommendation to the Board of Education with regard to the project being put out for public bid. If a project is not within the budget as originally defined but is still given a positive recommendation, the Board of Education action will not appear on the consent agenda and the Board will be informed regarding the circumstances prior to its meeting.
Board of Education action to confirm the committee's recommendation to bid the project.
The bids will be reviewed by committee and a recommendation will be made to the Board of Education.
Board of Education action to accept the bid based on the committee's recommendation.
For more information, contact Dave Hill, Executive Director of Facilities and Operations and administrative chair of the Design & Construction Board Advisory Committee.